Depression is a debilitating mood disorder. It needs treatment and there are no two ways about it. Psychotherapies and other pharmacological treatments can help an individual fight depression. Numerous studies have indicated that alternative treatments, such as exercise, meditation and yoga, can help a person reduce the symptoms of depression by building positive energy within the mind and body.
Eating certain food items is another approach to fight depression that most people tend to ignore. The food that one eats can affect the depressive symptoms. Renowned nutritionist, biochemist and author Shawn Talbot once said, “Diet plays a huge role in depression.” And it really does. Consuming nutritious food can help beat the blues and build a renewed energy in the body.
Some of the food items that help ward off depression are:
- Walnuts: Shawn Talbott, PhD, a nutritional biochemist and author of Vigor: 7 Days to Unlimited Energy, Focus, and Well-Being.Shawn Talbott, PhD, a nutritional biochemist and author of Vigor: 7 Days to Unlimited Energy, Focus, and Well-Being.Shawn Talbott, PhD, a nutritional biochemist and author of Vigor: 7 Days to Unlimited Energy, Focus, and Well-Being.Walnuts are one of the best plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Many researchers have proven that walnuts help reduce depressive symptoms. Moreover, walnuts also help in reigniting memory prowess and enhancing thought processes.
- Green tea: Green tea has the ability to increase serotonin level in the brain due to the presence of amino acid L-theanine. Serotonin is an active ingredient of many depression-curing medines.
- Avocados: Avocados are rich in vitamins such as Vitamin K, Vitamin B (B-5, B-6 and B-9), along with being high in fiber and low in sugar. They also contain fat which helps the brain function properly. However, one should watch the portion and should not consume more than necessary.
- Leafy green vegetables : Leafy green vegetables should be a part of everyone's diet plan. Apart from being healthy, they contain antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E and K – and minerals. They help in having a healthy, calmer and an active mind.
- Whole grains: The fiber-rich carbohydrates present in whole grains are beneficial for people suffering from depression. Whole grains, oats, whole wheat pasta, etc., have carbohydrates that help improve moods and bring in a sense of positivity.
- Berries: All kinds of berries, such as blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, have high antioxidant content. They help in decreasing inflammation and memory loss, and in enhancing cognition. Their beneficial compounds help reduce symptoms of stress and depression.
- Chocolates: Chocolates are great at enhancing moods. They are metabolized by the body to form serotonin that helps a person keep calm. However, if you are watching your weight, do not go overboard on indulgence.
- Low-fat dairy products: Dairy products that are low in fat help fight symptoms of depression. They are rich in calcium and vitamin D and contain proteins that help redeem a sense of happiness and well-being. So, a little indulgence in low-fat cheese, skim milk and yogurt is just fine and can help beat the blues.
Healthy food can boost the treatment process
The right mix of food can help an individual boost energy and fight symptoms of depressive episodes. Proper nutrition is important for the brain to function in the most effective manner. Good food can provide the needed nutrition for both the body and the mind.