Depression is intense sadness which makes us feel tired, hopeless, helpless, and worthless. It robs many of us of happiness and denies us the energy to go about our daily lives. Depression is caused by a physical change in your brain's chemistry, which can last for a few hours to a few days. So, what can you do when you become depressed? I have listed six activities which can help conquer depression that you can do without taking medication.
1. Exercise. Walking, running, swimming, lifting weights are excellent physical activities. Moving your body for over 10 minutes increases blood circulation which affects your brain in a soothing way. When you exercise intensely endorphins are released, which are hormones that attach to receptors in your brain. The result is a calm feeling of happiness and well-being.
2. Take a shower or bath. When you take a shower or bath, you surround your body in warm or hot water that is lower than your body temperature. The higher the water temperature, the hotter the water. Warm or hot water has a calming effect on the body and mind. Plus, you are doing others a favor because it makes you smell better too.
3. Take a nap. Depression can be caused by lack of sleep which can run you down to the point of feeling tired. You may have confusing thoughts that need to rest. Taking an hour nap will help your mind rest. It can restore your emotions emotions and clear your thoughts.
4. Meditate. Meditation is a state of deep peace that occurs when you put your body in a comfortable, still position which helps your mind focus on one thought or feeling. It specifically reduces worries which bombards your mind with several or more troubling thoughts or ideas. Meditation allows you to focus on one thought by eliminating all other thoughts.
5. Smile. You may not feel like smiling, but studies have shown that if you pretended to smile, it actually makes you feel better. When other people see you smile it usually makes them want to smile too.
6. Listen to Music. Do you listen to music that makes you feel good? Do you have a favorite type of music such as jazz, rock, classical? The combination of the rhythms of musical instruments playing simultaniously to create a song or group of songs can elevate your mood and restore calm thoughts. Also, listening to much slower, peaceful music such as a harp or slow piano songs, calms nerves and helps the mind to relax.
Relieving temporary depression can be done by engaging in one or more of the six activities I have listed. All of them can eliminate acute sadness, by elevating mood, calming nerves, and heightening well-being. Of course, there are many other other activities you might know of to combat it. However, if you are struggling with depression on an ongoing basis, you probably need to seek a psychologist.