Depression is a debilitating disorder. It affects the suffering person's normal life, be it work, relationships as well as physical and psychological health. Depression is also a spoiler for sex life as the two do not mix well. It affects the libido and a depressed partner may have a non-existent sex drive. The orgasms may elude as fatigue and lack of enthusiasm prevail.
However, it is important to understand that with the help of a few strategies, depression can be preceded from obliterating one's sex life. Some of these steps are as below:
- Putting bedroom myths to rest – It is important to understand that not everyone is having a great sex or having sex every day or having multiple orgasms. Sex is a part of life and one should strive to enjoy it without taking any pressure and believing in things that make it hard to perform. One should also remember that depression is temporary and can be treated well.
- Addressing underlining problem – One can prevent depression from hampering sex life by addressing the root cause. This can be achieved by having a frank communication with the partner. What is it that is causing one of the partner's depression? Has it gotten to do something with the partner, or with kids, job, friends, health issue, etc.? One must try to find a solution to the undering problem as that can be helpful in abating depression.
- Indulging in physical activity – Exercise is known to boost mood. It helps in the release of hormones like serotonin which is a mood enhancer. It also helps to tone the body and this may elevate a person's self-esteem too. Exercising moderately for even 20 to 30 minutes a day can help relieve the depressive symptoms and rekindle the desire to be intimate.
- Connecting in nonsexual way – One must find time to connect with the partner without the strain of having a sexual encounter. Even simple acts of holding hands, kissing, giving each other bear hugs can help in the release of feel-good hormones. Cooking together, doing the laundry together, giving a back rub and cuddling are some of the ways of connecting deeply with each other which would have always pave the way for better sex.
- Setting the mood right – Antidepressants can make it harder for a person to hold an erection or orgasm. Therefore, it is prudent to invest in some efforts beforehand for ensuring a satisfactory session. Taking an aroma bath, eating a light dinner, eating some aphrodisiac, listening to some soothing music, installing some dim and romantic lights in the bedroom, using a freshnesser, having fresh bed linen that can help one to look forward to the main act.
- Taking care of the self – Depression can be merciless and it is easy to get lost in the complexity of one's situation. However, it is important to be gentle on self. Without one takes care of himself / herself and dreams good, it is difficult to enjoy intimacy. So, pampering oneself by going for a spa, haircut, manicure, facial or nail art session, eating a donut, reading a cheesy chick flick or watching a rom-com, buying silk negligee, etc. should be helpful.
Depression is treatable
Sometimes, despite trying these tips, the depressive symptoms may still hinder sexual life. In such cases, it is important to speak to a professional. If left unaddressed, depression may prove to be devastating.